Sunday, August 18, 2013

...Day 22-25...

Day 22

Saturday May 18, 2013
Today was a huge day! The day started out with my Mom and I going to visit her before we headed to Provo to watch Isaac compete in the State track meet! As we got in there the nurses informed us that the doctor's had not been around to do rounds yet so she would expect them soon! We waited and waited! We were really anxious because she was doing so well with her Anderson tube out and with her small amounts of oral feeds that they were going to probably increase that oral feed amount by about double! Which is huge even though it was still a very little amount! The doctor's came by and proceeded to say yes they would increase her oral amount but that it was still going to be a slow process and the last thing we wanted to do was rush or give her more than she can handle! So it was exciting but sad at the same time because I was getting so very anxious to get out of there! I wanted to be home with my husband and kids and I was sick of all the eating out and cafeteria food! I was going a little stir crazy... but I also just wanted her to be completely healthy, healed and reay for life outside the hospital! So I was torn!
Well after the doctors left my Mom let Sam come in because we were nearing the time we needed to leave! She came in held her a little bit and then was going to go switch my Dad but I had decided while I had her I would go ahead and do her cares since it was that time! I laid her on the crib and had checked her temp., girth, switched the oxygen monitor and began to change her diaper! Sam had decided to stay and watch before she got my Dad! I got done changing her bum and was wrapping her up in her blanket... I had got the first arm pinned in the blanket and went to swaddle the other arm in and she forced her arm out of the blanket her fingers went right under the tube and she yanked the tube out as she fully extended her arm up! I was in complete shock! This was not a good thing and also it happened on my watch under my supervision! I began to bawl! The nurse said it's okay it's not your fault! I didn't believe her! All the while Baylee was just smiling away... seriously! I have never seen such huge grins on her face and so many all at once!
Baylee hadn't pulled it out all the way... but probably only had 4 inches of tube still down the nose! The nurse ran and got the NP and she said pull it we can't put it back and we will just have to hope she eats orally all while asking me if I had done it! Which I hadn't! I was still bawling and blaming myself! I decided to go outside and tell my parents and also decided to stay behind with Baylee to see how she did with the feeds because this was the test of all tests! I didn't want to leave her side! So they all went to see Isaac run and I stayed behind and listened to the Dr.s decide what needed to happen! They decided to only give her half the feedings she needed to eat based on age and weight and height! They knew she would be hungry and maybe a little dehydrated because a few days before they pulled out all her IV's that were helping supplement! So her feedings were 20 mL's then went to 32 mL's then 54mL's and which they held her at till the next afternoon, so 24 hours after she pulled the tube and then she could eat as much as she would take which averaged 70 to 80 mL's which is just short of 3 oz.! She was basically getting 2 to 2.5 oz. every feeding!
Little Lou so very happy that stinkin' tube is out!
So pretty!
I think I cried most the day after the great yanking of the feeding tube!
We watched for a bloated stomach, vomiting, excessive spit up and no pooping!
Trying to make Mom feel better!

Cuddling with my girl!
Getting ready for bed!
Baylee knew what needed to happen and she made it happen! She knew what was best for her and she forced her will because the Dr.s were taking to long! She did great all that day and all that night! They kept calling her the Miracle Baby!
Enjoying time with Pa!

Day 23

Sunday May 19, 2013
We came back first thing in the morning! The nurses said she was doing amazing and eating like a champ still! I couldn't be happier! We still were increasing her feeds so there was still a trial period of how she would do!
Dancing in her sleep!
My family left to go home! I hated not being able to go with them again! We still didn't know how long we would be! Her feeds by this afternoon were at about 2 1/2 oz.! She was doing great and really surprising everyone! They couldn't figure out how she was doing so well because of  how much she was putting out in her Anderson tube just a few days earlier! Still calling her the Miracle baby!
Loving the NO tube look!!!
Mommies girl!

Day 24

Monday May 20, 2013
No change! Still doing wonderful and tolerating her feeds so well! The doctors are telling me to go home but the NP was telling me to stay and ultimately they are the boss! So I was getting anxious but still didn't know when they might send me!

Day 25

Tuesday May 21, 2013
The nurses have been talking about having us go home tomorrow as long as all goes well! We had to do the car seat test! Basically she had to sit in her carseat for 3 hours and be fine! She passed with flying colors!
Carseat test!
I also had to do all these pass offs like videos to watch and CPR and I finished them all that day so i wasn't the one holding us up!

1 comment:

Portia said...

Your gonna be so glad u are documenting all of this, its so neat!